The HealthQuest Asthma Disease Management Program has been designed to improve member health and support the continuous education of members and the providers who care for them. The HealthPlus Asthma Disease Management program is fully integrated to include: disease management, utilization management, case management, behavioral health, and health and lifestyle activities. The HealthPlus programs incorporate interventions necessary to optimize patient care and are based upon up-to-date, evidence-based clinical practice guidelines that were developed and reviewed by physicians.
The objectives of the Asthma Disease Management Program are to:
- Prevent acute exacerbations of the disease
- Reduce risk of member acute exacerbations and death
- Slow disease progression
- Educate and empower members toward self-management of asthma and co-morbidities.
- Improve members’ quality of life through lifestyle management support, change in health behaviors by using motivational interviewing and goal setting.
- Support members who have psychosocial issues and implement screening for depression, when appropriate.
- Educate and support health care practitioners, through evidence-based medicine.
- Encourage members to communicate with their health care practitioner about chronic condition(s) and treatment regimens.
- Educate members about resources external to HealthPlus, as appropriate.
Asthma Disease Management Program information and decision support activities include:
- Condition monitoring (self-monitoring and medical testing)
- Foster member adherence to treatment plan and member education, which includes standards of care, medication adherence, and sick day plans.
- Management of co-morbid conditions
- Lifestyle issues (e.g., goal setting techniques, problem-solving, etc.)
- Community resource support
The HealthPlus HealthQuest Asthma Disease Management Program is available to eligible members in Commercial HMO/POS, PPO (Fully-Insured and Self-Funded), and Medicare Advantage product lines.
Collaboration and Resources
The Asthma Disease Management Program has been structured to support the collaboration between HealthPlus and the Michigan Quality Improvement Consortium (MQIC) and is based upon the 2007 National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Expert Panel Report 3 : Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
For more information about the HealthPlus HealthQuest Disease Management Program, contact a HealthPlus Disease Management Coordinator at (800) 345-9956, ext. 8050, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.