HealthPlus is committed to treating its members in a manner that respects their rights and addresses their responsibility for cooperating with HealthPlus staff and affiliated practitioners and providers.
HealthPlus recognizes the following rights of its members:
- To be treated with respect and to have their dignity and personal privacy recognized.
- To receive advice or assistance in a prompt, courteous and responsible manner.
- To receive information about their managed care organization, their rights and responsibilities as a member, their health care benefits and the participating physicians and other affiliated health care providers from whom they receive care.
- To express a complaint and/or grievance about HealthPlus or about care they have received and to receive a response to the complaint within a reasonable period of time.
- For HMO members, to change primary care physicians for any reason, to be effective on the first day of the month following notification to HealthPlus.
- To participate in decisions involving their health care.
- To participate in a candid discussion of appropriate or medically necessary treatment options for their conditions, regardless of cost or benefit coverage.
- To refuse treatment and to be informed of the probable consequences of their actions.
- To be assured of confidential health records except when disclosure is required by law or permitted in writing by them. With adequate notice, they have the right to review their medical records with their physician.
- To make recommendations regarding the member rights and responsibilities policy.